This Triple Berry Crisp uses frozen berries, and it’s a healthy, paleo, vegan, gluten free dessert the entire family will LOVE. You can also sub regular flour, sugar, and add oats if you are not eating paleo. This dessert is delicious served warm or cold and freezes well.
Can I get hands in the air from anyone who LOVES all types of fruit crisp dessert recipes?!?! If you love desserts and are trying to eat healthier, then you have stopped in the right place. This Berry Crisp is seriously delicious. My five year old devoured her serving in three bites!! Even if you are not worried about eating healthier, you will still love this berry crumble. I love this healthy paleo dessert so much that I may have eaten it for breakfast a few times … just maybe … wink wink. If people can eat breakfast for dinner, then it should be okay to eat dessert for breakfast right? No? Oh Well!! I’m eating this berry crumble dessert as I write this post … NO JOKE GUYS.
I ended up cooking my berry crisp longer after I took the majority of the photos in this post. You can look at the first image to see my desired way of eating this delicious and healthy dessert. You will read in the recipe card instructions at the bottom to bake at 350 degrees for about 35-45 minutes until boiling; this brings out the flavor by bringing more of the fruit juices out of the berries. BUT my husband prefers it cooked less as pictured above. So I guess it is a personal preferance, but I think the majority of people will prefer the berry crumble baked longer as the instructions recommend. Keep reading to find out the difference between a berry crisp and a berry crumble. I tend to use the words interchangeably.
Why I Love This Berry Crisp?
- It’s a healthy, paleo, gluten free, vegan dessert with an AIP dessert option.
- Easy and quick to make.
- Freezes well.
- So DELICIOUS you won’t even know it’s healthy!
- You can enjoy it warm or cold.
- If not eating paleo you can substitute regular flour, sugar, and add oats to the berry crumble topping.
You can use frozen or fresh berries for this Berry Crisp dessert recipe. I used the Walmart brand frozen organic triple berry mix. You need to defrost the berries first before using them in the recipe. You can defrost overnight or thaw in the microwave.
The berry crisp or berry crumble recipe card below has the instructions for the Paleo dessert with the AIP dessert option in parenthesis. As I mentioned in the bullets above; you can also make this recipe with regular flour and sugar.
If you are making the AIP dessert recipe version then some of the ingredients are not typical grocery store finds, but you should be able to find them at your local health food store like Whole Foods, or you can order them online. I like to order all of mine from Amazon or Thrive Market because it saves me a TON of money. I am currently on the AIP diet for rheumatoid arthritis, and having AIP desserts like this now and then is essential for my mental health.
What’s The Difference Between a Crumble and a Crisp?
I read that the main difference is, a crisp has oats on top, and a crumble is made without oats. BUT I also learned that the two terms are often used interchangeably. I guess this dessert would technically be a berry crumble recipe!! Either way, it’s a delicious and healthy dessert recipe the entire family can enjoy!!! So get your ingredients, bake, and dig in.
What Other Flavors Could You Create Instead Of A Mixed Berry Crisp?
- Apple Crisp
- Cherry Crisp
- Peach Crisp
- Pear Crisp
- Strawberry and Rhubarb Crisp
I plan on making these above crisps/crumbles soon!! If you try any variations, I would love to hear how they turn out! Leave me a comment and let me know.
This Berry Crisp would be amazing with a scoop of vanilla paleo ice cream or paleo whip cream. It would also be delicious with regular vanilla ice cream or whip cream if you are not on the paleo diet.
Triple Berry Crisp / Triple Berry Crumble
Delicious and healthy dessert the entire family will love! This Mixed Berry Crisp is Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free, and has an AIP version as well.
- 6 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (vanilla powder for AIP)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (clove for AIP)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch/flour
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- CRUMBLE TOPPING
- 4 cups almond flour (2 cups cassava flour & 1 cup coconut flour for AIP)
- 1/4cup + 2 Tbsp granulated coconut sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- If using frozen berries then you must thaw first (I poured my frozen bags into the 9x13 glass baking dish and placed in the microwave for a few minutes until completely thawed). If using fresh berries then measure out your amount and place into your 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix your FILLING ingredients in with your berries in the 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix all of your crumble toppings EXCEPT your coconut oil in a separate mixing bowl.
- Add your melted coconut oil to the crumble toppings and mix with hands until you create small crumbles. You may need to add more melted coconut oil depending on the brands of flour you used (the textures vary). If you need to add more just slowly add a little bit at a time.
- Mix about 1 cup of your crumble mixture in with the berries.
- Spread the rest of your crumble over the top of your berries.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30-40 minutes or until crumble topping is golden brown and berries are boiling.
- Let cool and serve. This dish freezes well.
Be sure to read the instructions on using frozen berries for this delicious and healthy Mixed Berry Crumble. The filling mixture won't stick to the berries or mix well if they are not thawed.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 310kcal Calories from fat 134|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 15g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||65%|
|Dietary Fiber 16g||64%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Share a photo of your recipe with us by tagging @lillianhopedesigns on instagram!